Powered by Blogger.
RSS

The Last Airbender(Really Bad Movie)

For my movie with under a 15% on Rotten Tomatoes, I watched the Last Airbender. I watched the television show all the time as a kid and it was one of my favorite things to watch. But since I had heard so many bad things I had avoided watching this movie. I knew this assignment was all about terrible movies, but I had hoped that I would watch a movie that would be so bad I could just laugh at it, this was not one of those movies. Instead I just found myself getting really frustrated with how spectacularly  these people failed with this movie and turned an incredible tv show into this monstrosity. I recognize that it's difficult do condense books and tv shows into movies and that there was always going to be some deviations and deletions, but this was just utterly ridiculous. First and foremost, they couldn't even be bothered to pronounce the main character's name correctly, and didn't even get the most basic premises of the show correct. Again, I know that I'm biased and part of this is the little kid in me being mad that they even screwed up how bending works, but at the same time that's a very basic thing and integral part of the story, and by messing it up they weaken the story and prevent themselves from telling some of the more compelling tales of the tv show. The director very clearly wasn't trying to please the people who wanted the movie to be like the tv show, but at the same time they don't seem to help out the people who hadn't seen the show either. There were several things that you just had to know about this world going in, or pick up on very very quickly or you were simply doomed to be lost. And at the end they throw in two characters who would leave someone who hadn't seen the tv show completely baffled by the conclusion of the movie. Borderline emotionless acting and painfully cheesy special effects did nothing to help this film, but its ultimate failure lies in the fact that it tried to condense 10 hours worth of animated television into a 2 hour live action movie. This is very clearly not going to work out, and it honestly seemed like the people writing the script had never seen the tv show themselves. In short, this was a completely half-baked no effort going through the motions kind of movie that was made simply because they knew the name would make them a lot of money at the box office. I would give this movie a 0 out of 10 and would gleefully watch paint dry (or even golf on television) rather than watch this "movie" again.

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment