Powered by Blogger.
RSS

Man of Steel (free choice)

            I chose to watch Man of Steel because I am a big fan of the superhero genre and thought this movie looked interesting. I only have extremely hazy memories of watching the 1978 Superman when I was very young, so I went into this movie without much to compare it to. That being said, this movie still managed to surprise me, as it was not what I was expecting. For example, Lois meets Clark/Superman near the beginning, and he never tries to hide his identity from her. He also doesn’t start working at the Daily Planet till the very end of the movie.
            The biggest thing that stood out to me throughout the film was how dark it was. I don’t mean, simply, how serious it was, and the general lack of comic relief. What made this movie truly dark was the color palette. The colors are very desaturated, making the film feel bleak—throughout the whole film, there are no bright, vivid colors to be found. I know this was an intentional choice, to go along with the somber mood of the film, but I can’t help but wonder if it was entirely necessary. Personally, I feel that we have enough dark films (both in style and content) already, and I’m not sure that Superman, who has always been a symbol of hope and optimism, really needs to be among them.
            The other main issue I had with this film is the plot. The movie is nearly two and a half hours long, which simply seems too long for as simple a plot as it has. Once Superman’s origin has been explained, the rest of the film is just Clark physically fighting Zod to save Earth in a series of drawn out fight scenes. Although the action sequences were very well done and the special effects were quite impressive, the nonstop action started to get a little tiresome after a while.
            All of this being said, this was by no means a bad movie. Overall, it was a very entertaining film, and there were certainly aspects that I liked about it. For example, there were some very impressive visuals, and the scenes where Clark is flying are some of the best of the whole movie—the use of techniques like wide angle shots, zooming in and out, and tilted horizon make you feel like you’re right there with him. Additionally, I liked Henry Cavill’s portrayal of Clark as an earnest man just trying to help people and do what is right. Moreover, I enjoyed the emphasis on Clark’s origin, as well as the flashbacks to his childhood. I also liked Lois’s characterization as an independent woman trying to get the scoop.

3.75/5

  • Digg
  • Del.icio.us
  • StumbleUpon
  • Reddit
  • RSS

0 comments:

Post a Comment